My son has one duvet cover for his down blanket. He told me recently he didn’t think it was quite warm enough and that he likes to sleep with a flannel sheet underneath to stay warm enough. I decided to make a new cover for him using that flannel sheet. I went to his closet and picked out a skull tapestry and grabbed that flannel top sheet I mentioned.
I laid out the blanket, the sheet and the tapestry. As you can see they were different sizes. I decided to make the entire duvet cover the size of the tapestry because it has a repeating pattern and if I cut it any other way it would cut off part of the skull pattern on the tapestry.
I cut the flannel sheet to fit the size of the tapestry, but one end of the tapestry was longer than the flannel sheet. I ended up using the extra flannel sheet that I cut from the side for the end of the duvet cover and sewed it on the bottom so that the tapestry side and the flannel sheet side would be the same length. Then I stitched up three sides of the cover leaving the bottom mostly open. I stitched half a foot in on each side of the bottom section (the open bottom where you stuff the blanket in the duvet cover). You could very easily add snaps or Velcro at the bottom but I just left it open.
Day 18: New Duvet Cover –
Here is the finished duvet cover in my son’s room. I think he will be warm, stylish and cozy in this.
In case you didn’t read my first blog post about this project . . . this post is part of a 31 day challenge I am doing to bring more creativity, stories and solutions to my life. I have been using my creativity almost exclusively for work in the recent past and for the month of January I will creating things for my personal life, talking about them and taking pictures.I would love input from readers as to which project you enjoy the most and if I get enough comments on one particular project I’ll turn it into a tutorial after the 31 day challenge of crafting, stories and solutions is over. So please let me know what you like!